X

No Frame  |  Baguio City Cathedral  -  Our Lady of Atonement Cathedral Baguio City


Baguio City Cathedral

The site where the cathedral currently stands was a hill referred to as Kampo by the Ibaloi people. In 1907 a Catholic mission was established at the site by Belgian missionaries from the Congregatio Immaculati Cordis Mariae which they Mount Mary.

Construction of the cathedral itself began in 1920 under the leadership of the parish priest Rev Florimond Carlu. The building was completed and consecrated in 1936 receiving dedication to Our Lady of Atonement.

During the Second World War the cathedral was an evacuation centre and it withstood the carpet-bombing of Baguio by Allied forces during liberation on 15 March 1945. The remains of the thousands that had died in the bombardment are interred within the cathedral precinct.