X

No Frame  |  Philippine Military Academy  -  Philippine Military Academy Baguio City


Philippine Military Academy

The factual accuracy of part of this article is disputed. The dispute is about the claim of the PMA that it can trace its history to the Academia Militar de Malolos. Please see the relevant discussion on the talk page before making changes. (January 2014)

The Philippine Military Academy traces own its history back to the Academia Militar which was established on October 25 1898 at Malolos Bulacan.[dubious discuss]
Graduating PMA Cadets at the PMA Alumni Homecoming 2012

An Officer s School of the Philippine Constabulary was established on February 17 1905 within the walls of Intramuros in Manila. This school was later to be relocated to Baguio on September 1 1908. After the Philippine Legislature passed Act No. 3496 on September 8 1926 the school was renamed the Philippine Constabulary Academy and courses were lengthened from nine months to three years.

When the National Defense Act was approved on December 21 1935 the Philippine Constabulary Academy was renamed Philippine Military Academy and was permitted to grant its graduates Bachelor of Science degrees after completion of their four-year curriculum. PMA was modeled after the United States Military Academy with officers from the Philippine Scouts and regular United States Army as instructors and members of the general staff.

With the outbreak of World War II training was disrupted at the PMA with Classes 1942 and 1943 being graduated prematurely and assigned to combat units in Bataan and other parts of the country. Many of these young officers perished in the war.

After the war the Academy was reopened on May 5 1947 at Camp Henry T. Allen in Baguio City. But due to its increasing need for larger grounds it was soon moved to its present location at Fort Gen Gregorio H Del Pilar Loakan some ten kilometers from downtown Baguio.[citation needed] During the 1960s as a need for more well-rounded individuals was found to be desirable socio-humanistic courses were added to the school s curriculum.

1993 proved a momentous year for the PMA as its first female cadets were admitted and specialization based on branch-of-service was introduced into the curriculum. The first female cadets graduated from the Academy in 1997.